Blueberry Cornmeal CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love this recipe and I love the texture of the cake. It is light, not too sweet and so juicy if you use blueberries in season. I came across this recipe in Bon Appetit over 15 years ago but have tweaked it over the years. I added lemon zest as it needed it and sometimes I use lavender honey in place of raw local honey. I love playing with the flavor. I also sprinkle the top of the cake with either raw sugar or vanilla sugar. This cake works perfectly for dessert with a scoop of lemon or berry sorbet or for brunch with whipped cream or even whipped mascarpone cheese. It really is a beautiful cake with great flavor and texture.
1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
6 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 lg eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon honey or lavender honey
10 Tablespoons butter, at room temp.
3/4 cup plus 3 Tablespoons, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup whole milk ricotta
1/3 cup yogurt or vanilla yogurt
3 cups fresh blueberries, toss with a tablespoon of flour and lemon zest.
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 10 inch springform pan. Place a 10 inch disk of parchment paper down.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl or on a piece of wax paper. In a medium bowl, whisk oil, eggs, vanilla, and honey. Set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat butter, 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar and salt in a large bowl until creamy. With mixer running on medium speed, slowly add the egg mixture and beat till blended. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just blended. Add the ricotta and yogurt, beat on low speed to blend.
- Spoon half the batter in the pan. Tap the pan to even out the batter. Sprinkle half the blueberries, gently press into the batter. Cover with the rest of the batter, tap again and repeat with remaining blueberries. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check on cake after 40-45 minutes-if browning too much, cover loosely with foil. Start checking cake after 65 minutes. It is cooked when a tester comes out clean. Cool completely in pan.
- When ready to serve, release from pan and place on serving platter and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with whipped cream or mascarpone cheese.