Farro with Roasted VegetablesCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
I am a huge fan of cooking with grains and especially farro. It is delicious in taste and has a great texture. It also goes with everything and can be served hot or cold. You can play with this dish and use whatever vegetables are in season. I always make the whole package of farro in a pot of water with a bay leaf, smashed garlic clove and lots of salt. This gives the farro added flavor. In the winter when I do this I place the cooked farro in a small roasting pan then top with homemade tomato sauce and light sprinkling of parmesan and then add the roasted vegetables to the top. This can all be done a day or two before and then reheated when ready to serve. If it is a warm evening, I will make the farro early in the day and place it in a serving dish and roast the vegetables then toss the farro and vegetables with a touch of high end extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of Maldon Salt. Play around and use the vegetables you want to use. This makes a great dinner served with a radicchio salad.
1 pound farro
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, skin removed and smashed
1 globe eggplant, trimmed of top and bottom and cut into bite size squares
2 bell peppers, tops cut off, seeded and cut into bite size pieces
1 cauliflower, cut into florets
2-3 zucchini, trimmed and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
3/4 cup tomato puree or marinara sauce, optional
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Place the farro in a large pot and cover with stock or water. Add the bay leaf and smashed garlic clove. Bring water to a boil, and salt. Turn the heat down to low and simmer with the lib slightly ajar for 20-30 minutes. Strain once tender and place in a serving dish or small roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 400. If you have a roast setting, use the roast setting. take a large ribbed baking sheet and line with foil or parchment.
- Place all the vegetables in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. If you have a favorite seasoning add that to the mix and then spread out on prepared sheet pan.
- Roast the vegetable until golden brown, not burnt. Remove from oven and place on top of farro. You can serve like this or cover and cook later. Refrigerate until ready to use unless you want to reheat in a few hours.
- To reheat, preheat over to 375, and cover roasting dish with foil. Place in oven for 25-30 minutes and serve hot with a dribble of olive oil and salt.