Fava BeansCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Intermediate
I love Fava Beans so does my family. They taste like Spring and are perfect to eat or throw in a salad once they are shucked and par boiled. If you have fava beans that are in their pods but they are small and fresh picked, you can grill them and eat everything. I still prefer to shuck them and par boil them. Sometimes I just add them to a salad or sometimes I will saute them.
2 lbs fava beans, shucked, par boiled and saute
- Fava Bean Saute
Fava beans, shucked and skinned
Salt and Pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh Herbs of choice, chopped
- Remove the beans from there pods.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the beans for 3 minutes and then drain into a bowl of ice water. Remove the outer skin from the bean.
- The beans are now delicious to eat alone or toss in a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and feta cheese.
- Cooked Fava Beans
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and after 30 seconds add the beans. Season with salt and pepper and toss for 5 minutes.
- Remove to a platter, season with fresh herbs and more salt. A few grinds of fresh pepper also helps.