Moroccan Chicken with Pumpkin Seed SalsaCourse: DinnerCuisine: MoroccanDifficulty: Easy
I love this recipe. It is always so good. Sometimes I will just make the salsa as a dip or to use with other recipes. It works wonderful with a winter squash stew or a vegetable lentil dish and mix a little in. It works well with a pork tenderloin or pork chops, mix with a little plain green yogurt and use it as a vegetable dip. You can’t beat the flavors. I serve this with couscous and green beans with lots of fresh mint.
1 whole chicken, backbone removed (ask butcher to do this)
1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
2 teaspoons grated fresh lime zest
1 Tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3 Tablespoons olive oil
6 Tablespoons lime juice, dived
1 red onion, roughly chopped
2-3 poblanos, halved, ribs removed, seeded removed, roughly chopped
1/2 cup rew pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup cilantro
Lime wedges for serving
- Place chicken on cutting board, season all over with salt. Place in a 1 gallon plastic bag.
- Whisk 1 cup yogurt, 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, 1 Tablespoon honey, 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 3 Tablespoons lime juice, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, in a small bowl, Then scrape into bag with chicken and massage all over chicken. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375. Place onion and poblano chiles in a bowl and drizzle with oil and season with salt.
- These two steps can be done the day before. I make the sauce and chop onions/pablanos. I refrigerate overnight and then marinate the chicken the next day. Remove the chicken from the bag and place breast side up on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the onions and poblanos to the roasting pan. Roast vegetables until they begin to turn brown. Scatter the pumpkin seeds all over the pan, roast until seeds are golden brown and chicken is deep golden brown and an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 160, about 15 to 2o min. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let it rest 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables, pumpkin seeds, and drippings in a food processor. Add 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and remaining 3 Tablespoons lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Process until chunky. Transfer to a bowl and serve with chicken, rice and roasted peppers and onions.