Pasta with Cherry Tomato and Basil SauceCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This is so good. It is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated. I have made this several ways. I slow roasted tomatoes and I also followed the way the recipe calls. Both are amazing. This is just a simple dish because the tomatoes should be so sweet and the basil should have the most amazing aroma. It tastes of summer. I have made this with and without the anchovy. The anchovy does give it a pop of Unami.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and chopped up
2 lbs cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 red pepper flakes
1 box DeCecco pasta, orecchiette
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and kept chilled
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in a pasta pot.
- While waiting for the water to boil, add oil to a large sauce pan. Add the anchovies and garlic-allow anchovies to break down garlic to lightly brown. Add the tomatoes WHOLE, salt, sugar, and pepper flakes to sauce pan and stir to combine. Turn the heat medium and place a cover over tomatoes and cook undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Once water is boiling, add lots of salt and pasta. Cook for about 9-10 minutes and drain, but RESERVE about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add pasta back to pot.
- Toss pasta with tomatoes, basil, and butter, stirring gently until all is incorporated. Season to taste. If needed use reserved pasta water. If not, toss water.
- Serve in warm bowls with more torn basil and Parmesan cheese.