Roasted Summer Tomatoes for the WinterCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
A dear friend gave me a bag of frozen flat cherry tomatoes from her garden last year. She told me this is what she does to savor the taste of summer tomatoes in the middle of winter so I have been vigilant with all the bounty of tomatoes out of my garden this summer. My freezer is packed with these beautiful gems. I use them in stews, soups, pastas, and the flavor is out of this world. It is the best way to enjoy the taste of summer throughout winter.
The only thing is when you plan to do this make sure you have lots of time. The secret is low oven and SLOW roast for 2-3 hours. It pays off. Also stock yourself with freezer ziplock bags and I use both gallon as well as quart size bags so I am always ready for any recipe. I don’t like to waste food.
Roma tomatoes, cut in half or quartered
Salt/fresh ground pepper
Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to bake at 250 or roast at 250. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment .
- Scatter tomatoes in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil and whatever flavor profile you want.
- Place in the oven and set timer for 45 minutes. Check tomatoes. If cooking to quickly lower oven to 200. Check again after 30 minutes. It usually takes about 2-3 hours and they are perfect. You want them to break down and wilt a little but not be pulverized.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, place in a freezer ziplock bag, single layer, and gently remove as much air as you can. Close bag and place on a small cookie sheet and place in the freezer to freeze solid then remove the cookie sheet from the freezer. Repeat with more tomatoes.