Short Ribs with Lemongrass and Coconut MilkCourse: DinnerCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Easy
This is a family favorite recipe. I love it because having made it many times, I love that I can make it the day before and this works perfectly for our family of 4 or if we have guests. It makes delicious leftovers. The flavors are amazing and it isn’t spicy but has good amount of flavor. My kids beg for this. Just make sure you buy meaty short ribs. The flavor is much better when made the day before serving it. I make it, allow it to cool then I reheat it on the stove at med low. I serve it on top of bed of jasmine rice or even better couscous. My kids love bread with their meal so either I will make homemade Naan or I will buy it.
3-4 lbs (about 8-10)English style bone in beef short ribs, about 3 inches each
4 lemongrass stalks, bottoms trimmed, tough outer layers removed, about 2 inches of each stalk
2 lg yellow onions, chopped
10 garlic cloves, skin removed and grated
1 (3 inch) piece of fresh ginger, skin removed and grated
2 Serrano chiles, trimmed and seeded, sliced thin
Zest from 2 limes
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
Fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, quartered
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, allow to get hot. Season all the short ribs with plenty of salt on both sides. Place the short ribs in the pan dry. Do not crowd, if you have to, do in batches. Turning the shorts ribs after about 5-6 minutes. Allow to brown evenly on each side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bruise the trimmed lemongrass stalks with the flat side of the knife. Add to the pot, add the 2 chopped onions, grates garlic and ginger. Cook over medium heat stirring often until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are golden about 8 minutes.
- Add the Serrano chiles, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon turmeric. Pour in the 3 cans of coconut milk, 1/4 cup fish sauce, and 1 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Nestle the ribs back in the pot and make sure the sauce almost covers them. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in oven for 2 1/2 hours. (IF MAKING AHEAD THIS IS WHERE I STOP. ALLOW TO COOL ON STOVE AND REFRIGERATE UNTIL THE NEXT DAY)
- Remove lemongrass and stir in zest of two limes as well as 1/4 cup lime juice. Mix well. Season with more salt.
- Place 4 heated bowls with a scoop of couscous each and serve the short ribs on top with the sauce and a sprinkling of fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.