Spaghetti with Bok Choy, Red Pepper, Romano cheese and Poached EggCourse: DinnerCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
This noodle dish is a family favorite. I have been making it for years and the kids love it. When I serve it sometimes depending on how hungry we are, I serve it with a poached egg on top. When the yoke spills out onto the pasta it creates quite a luxurious. This dish is fine without the egg, but for my 2 active, growing children I like the egg for added protein. You can also add a meat protein to this or just keep it extra fresh and healthy by leaving it vegetarian/vegan. It is delicious and light so it is a perfect meal. Plus easy to prepare.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
8 cups thinly sliced baby bok choy, about 1 lb
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
4 large fresh eggs
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
8 green onions, sliced thin
2 oz grated Romano cheese, about 1/2 cup
- Heat oil in a skillet or Wok over medium heat, add the bok choy, red peppers, and red pepper flakes, saute for 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and beginning to turn golden.
- Stir in garlic and stir for 30 seconds then add the chicken broth. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Once cooked, strain and toss with vegetables.
- Poach the eggs: Bring a skillet filled with 2 inches hot water to a boil, gently crack the eggs in the water and reduce heat to low. Eggs will cook in 4 minutes.
- Serve the pasta and vegetables in heated bowls with an egg on each bowl. Sprinkle with green onions and finishing salt.