Apple Cider BlondiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These are so good but the first time I made them I almost burned my pan!! I had to tweak the recipe a bit and now have made them several times and they get gobbled up by my whole family. They are delicious and make the house smell so good. They really make you get into the Fall Spirit. This is a great recipe with great flavor and so good.
2 sticks butter
3 cups apple cider
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 lg eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
- Cut 2 sticks of butter into 1/2 inch cubes. Melt butter in a sauce pan with high sides over medium high heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, while craping the bottom of the pot with a rubber spatula to release any browned bits, until light brown in color, smells nutty and no longer foams, about 6-10 minutes. Immediately scrape into a large heatproof bowl.
- Add 3 cups of cider to the same pan and bring to a boil, then reduce to a rolling simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 -25 minutes. Immediately, pour into the bowl with the butter and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x13x2 glass dish with baking spray and line with parchment so that there is a 2 inch overhang to easily remove bars from pan. In a small bowl, mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle the dish.
- Place the flour, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 3.4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon allspice in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the butter apple cider mixture is cooled, add the brown sugared remaining 1/4 cup sugar to it. Whisk until smooth and sugars are mostly dissolved. Add 2 lg eggs and 1 tablespoon vanilla and whisk until no streaks of egg remain. Add flour mixture and fold into the apple cider mixture until no pockets of flour remain and batter is smooth.
- Transfer batter into prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle top with vanilla sugar and lightly press into the blondies.
- Bake until top is browned and toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 25-30 minutes. If browning too much, lightly cover with foil. Let cool 1 hour in pan before slicing.