Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Peanut Butter FrostingCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is a family favorite. I have been making this cake/cupcakes for 10 years. This cake is super moist and has the best of everything: bananas, chocolate chips, and peanut butter. I make the layers to this cake and they can freeze for 1 month. This make so much batter that you can make 1 dozen cupcakes and two 8 inch cake layers. The frosting is out of this world amazing and I use it also when making chocolate cake as Chocolate/peanut butter is a favorite combination. You can’t go wrong with this recipe however you want to use it either cupcakes or cake layers. If you make it ahead and want to freeze it. Make the cake layers, allow to completely cool then wrap in plastic wrap then foil and place in a freezer zip lock bag with the date. When you want to frost it, remove from freezer to the refrigerator. Allow to thaw overnight, then frost and it should be ready to eat. Allow to sit out at room temperature for a couple hours to warm up so it isn’t so cold when eating. This cake is one of our favorites.
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 lg eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup sour cream
10 oz bag of mini chocolate chips
2 cups cream peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Mini chocolate chips and Reeses peanut butter chips
Reeses Pieces or peanut Butter cups for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat cake pans with spray and line with parchment. Line a muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter with both sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to incorporate them. Add in vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients, beating on low speed just to blend. Add the bananas and sour cream, beat until just blended. Fold in the mini chips. Divide the batter amongst the pans.
- Bake the cakes/cupcakes about 20-25 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes then invert on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric hand mixer with clean beaters, beat first 4 ingredients in a large bowl until light and fluffy about 4 minutes.
- Place one layer cake on a serving platter, Spread some of the frosting and then sprinkle mini chip and peanut butter chips then add the top layer and repeat with frosting and sprinkle top with more chips and serve.
- CUPCAKES: Using a frosting knife, smear the frosting on each cupcake and sprinkle with mini chips and peanut butter chips or Reeses Pieces candies.