Banana Muffins with StreuselCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love making Mama Bread, but sometimes I get bored making the same old recipe, even though it is amazing! I have made these a few times and the kids love them. The streusel is so good and sometimes I will surprise the kids with mini chocolate chips or peanut butter chips. They love these in the morning or for a mid am snack or for an after school treat before running off to their various sport activities.
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
Pinch of kosher salt
2 Tablespoons rolled oats
2 Tablespoons butter, room temp.
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed RIPE bananas, from 3 bananas + 1 ripe banana chopped
3/4 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
- STREUSEL: in a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and salt to combine. Add 2 Tablespoons rolled oats and @ tablespoons butter and cut in with a fork or use your fingers. When pressed together the streusel should hold together. Mix a bit longer, if needed. Transfer to a small container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until needed. THIS CAN BE MADE UP TO 5 DAYS AHEAD.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin pan with pan liners.
- Heat the butter in a pot over medium heat and stirring often, until it foams then browns about 5-8 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl and immediately whisk in the dark brown sugar. Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Add 2 eggs to the brown sugar butter mixture and whisk until smooth. Whisk in 1 cup mashed bananas, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet until halfway combined. add remaining banana and chocolate chips if using, mix gently until combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Scoop batter evenly into the lined muffin pan. Top each with 1 Tablespoon of the streusel. Lightly press the streusel into each muffin.
- Bake muffins, rotating the pan after 15 minutes, until tops spring back and a toothpick comes out clean about 25-28 minutes total. Let the muffins sit in the pan until cool enough to handle about 3-5 minutes. Set them on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. These are best eaten the day they are made or can be reheated and enjoyed. Serve warm.