Basmati Rice with Cardamom, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf and Lemon ZestCourse: DinnerCuisine: Middle EasternDifficulty: Easy
This rice is over the top good. It would be perfect as a side dish for chicken, duck, pork or fish. The flavors are amazing and it even would pair nicely with a stir fry. My kids beg for this rice. The flavor, taste and scent are wonderful. It is a favorite rice side dish.
2 cups Basmati rice
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cardamon pods, bruised
2 bay leaves
3 cups water or stock (I prefer chicken but you can use vegetable)
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Using a fine mesh strainer, rinse the rice really well and allow to drain for about 10 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter together. Once melted add the onions, spices and bay leaves and cook until onions are tender over medium heat.
- Add the rice and mix to coat well. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low/medium low and cover pan and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the rice has finished cooking, add the zest to the rice and cover and do not uncover for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Toss the rice, removing the sticks, pods and leaves. Serve with your favorite dish.