There are a few marinades on the market that are really good, but I prefer making my own because they are healthier and I know the ingredients. We live in a society with so many different diets that making your own is easy, creative and healthy.
When it comes to deciding the marinade for the best meat, poultry, pork or fish; think first about the theme of the meal. If you are doing something along the lines of Italian/Mediterranean menu, you can use rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, sage, Italian Parsley with lemon and garlic. I don’t even shop the herbs, I tear them with some smashed garlic, lemon zest/lemon juice and olive oil. I place the protein or vegetable in a ziplock bag and massage the marinade into what I am marinating.
I use a lot of what I have on hand for marinating as well as Penzey’s spices to add flavor to take my protein or vegetable to the next level. Penzey’s Spices in online as well as have shops all over the country.
- Citrus, olive oil, smashed garlic, fresh herbs (preferably) if not dry work as well
- Lime zest/juice, olive oil, fresh cilantro (chopped or torn), salt, pepper and chopped/smashed jalapeño or Penzey’s Fajita or Adobo Seasoning
- Smashed garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Italian Parsley, and red wine for steaks
- Raw honey, lime juice, cilantro, red pepper flakes
- Balsamic vinegar and ketchup work great for basting ( you can add either a touch of brown sugar for a more BBQ Sauce taste or Worcestershire for a more steak house taste. Also can add some chopped fresh Thyme.
- Lime juice/zest, a little peanut butter, fish sauce for an Asian twist on poultry, pork or shrimp. Even can be used as a dip or tossing noodles.
Get creative. Fresh herbs work best but dry do work too. Play with your use of sweet and savory (acid). For sweet: honey, maple syrup, molasses, ketchup, brown sugar to name a few. You can also play around with different flavored honey(lavender, chestnut, raw, wildflower, eucalyptus and more). For Savory or Acid: citrus (my favorite), garlic, onions, vinegars, soy sauce, fish sauce, salt, liquid smoke, coffee, mustards, Worcestershire sauce and more.