Blueberry Cornmeal Shortbread TartCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is so easy to do and when blueberries are in season it is even better. This is most forgiving recipe and the results are spectacular. The taste is divine. I serve it with lemon sorbet or vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 lb fresh blueberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 Tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make the crust/topping: In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, powdered sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt. Add melted butter and using a wooden spoon mix well until no dry spots remain.
- Press half the dough into a 9 inch tart pan with removable pan. Spread out so that it covers the bottom and goes up the sides. Reserve 1/2 of the dough for the topping.
- To make the Filling: In a bowl toss together blueberries, brown sugar, vinegar, flour and salt. Pour into crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining crust/topping over tart. Gently press the crust into the tart.
- Place the tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet lines with parchment.
- Bake until tart is bubbling and thickened. Crust and topping should be golden and browned, about 40-45 minutes.
- Allow tart to cool completely before slicing it. It can be baked two days ahead of time and stored either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Serve with lemon sorbet or homemade whipping cream