Blueberry Orange Breakfast CakeCourse: Breakfast, afternoon treat, coffeecakeCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I found this recipe on instagram but it was GF and it had a bunch of ingredients that I had never heard of so I wanted to make it for my family and we aren’t GF. It took a few times but now we enjoy it often. My kids love it with breakfast and sliced fruit or as a snack. It is wonderful warm about 15 minutes out of the oven. It is perfect for breakfast or in the afternoon with a cup of herbal tea or coffee. The orange and blueberry complement each other.
1 1/2 cup flour or 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup Vegetable oil or a fruity olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
Zest of an orange
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 8×8 square pan with parchment and spray with nonstick spray
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil, vanilla, orange zest, and orange juice together. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Slowly stream in the milk and gently stir till smooth. Add in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, add more blueberries on top and sprinkle with vanilla sugar (optional) and bake until golden and a tester comes out with very few crumbs on it, about 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to sit in the pan about 15 minutes then allow to cool on a rack or serve.