Braised Chicken with Tomatillos and CilantroCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
I love this recipe. It is a family favorite and works for a casual dinner party as well. I serve this with rice and a vegetable. I also serve it with sliced avocado, lime wedges, and sliced scallions. It is always so good. t is warming and tasty. I love that I can make this ahead so all I need to do is reheat and serve with fluffy rice.
3 Poblano peppers
3 1/2 lb chicken pieces, legs, thighs and breasts or whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
4 Tablespoons Avocado oil
1 lg onion, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
6 cloves garlic
1 1/2 lb tomatillos, husks removed, quartered
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 heaping teaspoon cumin
1 Tablespoon lime juice
Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450. On a baking sheet lined with parchment, add the garlic cloves, quartered tomatillos, poblanos, jalapeño (sliced and seeded) and place in the oven until poblanos are puckered and skin is charred in areas. remove the poblanos and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap for 10 min. Set the rest of the vegetables on the pan aside. remove the skin from the poblanos and chop roughly. Mince the roasted garlic.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and season the chicken with salt and fresh ground pepper. In batches sear the chicken on both sides.Once all the chicken in lightly browned, remove to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and saute the onions until they are soft about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the minced garlic, chopped poblanos, chopped jalapeño, tomatillos, cumin and the cilantro. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Return chicken to the pot and nestle it in and cover the pan for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the lime juice.
- If making ahead, allow to cool after 20 minutes and refrigerate until the next day. Reheat gently and taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper and lime juice.
- Serve over rice in heated bowls with more chopped cilantro.