Braised Pork Shoulder with Fennel, Garlic and Fresh HerbsCourse: DinnerCuisine: American
I love this recipe because you can do so much with it and the flavors are out of this world. I like to toast the fennel seed before using it to marinate the meat. I always marinate the meat on a Thursday or Friday for Sunday family dinner. This is also incredible made ahead then used for sandwiches for a large party. When I just braise it and serve it for family dinner. I serve it with polenta and green beans. It is always a hit. My kids love it and my husband takes the leftovers to work. It is a Win Win meal. Plus I am a huge fan of Fine Cooking magazine. It if filled with amazing recipes and every issue is full of recipes I want to roast/braise/bake or cook. Check it out.
8 large garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons lemon zest, from 2-3 lemons
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons toasted coarsely ground fennel seeds
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 (3 1/2 lb) bone in pork shoulder
- 2-3 days before combine the garlic, zest, rosemary, salt, sage, fennel, and pepper in a bowl. Using a paring knife, poke shallow holes all around the meat. Place the meat in a Dutch oven that just fits. Rub the spice rub all over the pork and into the meat. Cover with the lid and refrigerate.
- Remove the pork out of the oven 1- 1 1/2 hours before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 300. Uncover the pork and add the onion, fennel bulb, fonds, rosemary, bay leaf, and wine. Cover the pork and place in the oven and cook until fork tender about 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Remove from oven. Leaving vegetables and liquid in pot, spread the meat into large chunks, remove and throw away fat.
- Discard the bay leaf and skim the fat from the broth. Return meat to pot and arrange in a single layer.
- THE DISH CAN BE MADE TO THIS POINT AND THEN REFRIGERATED FOR 1-2 DAYS. REHEAT AT 300 FOR 30 MINUTES,COVERED.
- Raise the temp on the oven to 425. Cook the pork, uncovered, flipping once, about 40 minutes. Serve with the vegetables and the sauce.