Cannoli Pound CakeCourse: Dessert, Afternoonsnack, brunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
A friend emailed me this recipe because I was telling her how much my Father in Law loves cannoli’s. When we went to Boston a few years ago and I took everyone to Mike’s Pastry in the North End (where I lived for 5 years)my Father in Law and my 2 kids were in cannoli Heaven.
This recipe is delicious but the best part is making it and it smells exactly like fresh made cannoli’s. It is delicious heated up alone or served with butter and honey or even better as dessert with ice cream. I have served this warm with a dollop of mascarpone cheese. Sometimes I even add fresh orange zest as a garnish or grated chocolate as a garnish.
1 cup sugar
Grated zest from 1 orange
Grated zest from 1 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon Sweet marsala
1 cup whole milk ricotta
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, I always add more
2 pinches allspice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup mini chocolate chip, I have used normal size chips, they work fine.
1/2 cup raw pistachios, chopped small
Mascarpone Cheese, ice cream, butter or honey, as a garnish
If using mascarpone cheese or ice cream, add fresh orange zest or grated chocolate as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray with cooking spray with flour a standard loaf pan (81/2by41/4). Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and zests. Using your fingers massage the zest into the sugar, making sure to really allow the oils from the zests to infuse the sugar. Whisk in the olive oil, sweet marsala, ricotta and eggs. Sprinkle baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice over the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Gently stir in the flour then chocolate chips and pistachios.Stir until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan or pans if using smaller loaf pans to give as gifts, and bake for 55 to 65 minutes for the large pans and about 25-30 for the smaller loaf pans. Bake until golden and set and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven, allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes then invert and cool on wire rack until warm. Serve right away or cool completely and wrap in foil and store at room temperature away from heat.
- To serve right away, slice and place on a plate with a dollop of mascarpone cheese and grated fresh orange zest or chocolate shavings.
- If making ahead, use within 3 days, or freeze up to a month.