Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Pickled Red OnionsCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is such a delicious recipe with a mix of wonderful flavors. Sometimes I buy bone in skin on thighs but sometimes I buy bone in skin on breasts and cut the in half. It really is what I see at the market or what I am in the mood for. Thighs tend to be juicier and easier but breasts and a bit healthier. You can do boneless, skinless chicken breasts but watch the time.
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 red onion, sliced
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 gloves garlic, grated
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 lbs bone in, skin on chicken thighs (4-6 thighs or 3-5 breasts cut in half)
2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 medium size sweet potato, cleaned and cubed
2 large bell peppers, sliced thin
1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar and honey. Mix half the red onion and a pinch of salt and set aside for garnish. Tossing the mixture several times be fore cooking.
- In a lg bowl mix together 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, coriander, and black pepper. Add the chicken and rub the mixture all over. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425. In another bowl, toss 2 Tablespoons oil with vegetables and remaining red onion. Add sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika, cayenne, and allspice. Spread vegetables on prepared parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle remaining 1/2 Tablespoon oil on chicken and place the chicken around the vegetables. The chicken should sit directly on the pan.
- Roast for 15 minutes and turn the heat up to 450 and try to flip the vegetables around but do not move the chicken. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the cider onion mixture. Do not use any of the pickled red pepper. Continue to roast the chicken for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve chicken with vegetables and pan juices. Garnish with plenty of cilantro leaves.