Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Ganache FrostingCourse: Dessert, HolidayCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Intermediate
I love this recipe. It is always fun to make during the holidays and it always a hit with kids and adults. It is delicious, moist and so decadent. I decorate it with both candy canes or/and nonpareils. This is a festive, fun cake that will get you into the holiday spirit. I even have made it for a New Year’s Eve party and decorated with edible gold glitter which looked wonderful next to a shimmering glass of champagne.
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting the pans
1/2 lb unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 large egg yolks
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 3/4 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1 /2 lbs bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups heavy cream
4 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon pur peppermint extract
3 oz mini nonpareils (snow caps)
- Preheat the oven 325. Butter three 9 inch pan and line with parchment. Can use baking spray and dust pans with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate with the butter over low heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks with 1 cup of sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the cooled chocolate and the vanilla and beat until blended. Gradually add in half the milk and beat until incorporated. In a bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the remaining milk, add this to the chocolate this to the chocolate batter along with the remaining 2 cups sugar and beat at medium speed until blended. Beat in dry ingredients on low speed.
- Pour the batter evenly between the 3 cake tins. Bake cakes for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then remove and allow to cool completely.
- Put the chocolate in a heat proof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a low boil. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes then whisk till smooth. Whisk in butter and peppermint extract. Transfer HALF ganache to a large bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until early set. Using an electric mixer, whip the chilled ganache at medium speed until thick, creamy and pale about 3 minutes.
- Place 1 layer cake upside down on a cake plate. Spread the top with halt the whipped ganache. Top with another layer and spread remaining ganache over that layer. Top with third layer. Spread most of the remaining UNWHIPPED ganache over top and sides of cake and REFRIGERATE for 10 minutes. Fully frost the came with the remaining frosting and press the nonpareils or crushed candy cane around the bottom of the cake and on top. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.
- MAKE AHEAD
- The cake layers can be made up to one month in advance, well wrapped in plastic wrap and foil. The finished cake can be made ahead of time by 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.