Chocolate Cherry CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I have made these cookies for years. The recipe is easy, delicious and the flavor so incredible between the rich chocolate and dried sweet cherries. You can also use tart cherries which adds a wonderful complexity to the cookie. These are like cookie truffles. Enjoy.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup Hershey’s baking cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 lg eggs
1 (10oz) bag semisweet chocolate chunks
1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 325. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, salt together on a piece of wax paper. Place butter and both chopped chocolates in a medium metal bowl. Place a saucepan filled with an inch or two of water over medium low. Place the bowl on top, careful to not allow the bottom to touch the water. Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat once all is melted and smoothly combined.
- Stir in both sugars and blend well. Add buttermilk, vanilla and the eggs. Beat hard until thick and glossy. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and cherries.
- Drop the batter in heaping Tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Space the cookies about 2 inches apart. bake until edges are just set but cookies are still quite soft in the middle about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to sit on pan for 10 minutes then remove to cool completely to a wire rack.