Chocolate Cherry SconesCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
We loves these. They are delicious. The kids eat these for breakfast and love to eat for snack. I have made these for Valentine’s Day for my kid’s classes but they are also delicious for showers and brunches. I love the addition of the citrus, it cuts through some of the sweet and adds such a wonderful flavor layers. You can’t go wrong with these. They are a family favorite and are perfect for cheering a friend up. These are happy scones.****These scones are delightful with the orange drizzle, but also good without it. I cut these scones with a bench scraper but feel free to use a biscuit cutter if you want round scones.
2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
Whipping Cream or milk
- Orange Drizzle
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the middle of the flour and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, 3/4 cup whipping cream, dried cherries, mini chips, and orange zest. Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Using a large fork, stir until just moistened. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough, folding and gently pressing it together 10-12 times or until the dough is nearly smooth. Divide the dough in half and pat half the dough into a 6 inch circle about 3/4 inch thick and using a bench scraper, cut into 6 triangles. Repeat with other half.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush scones with either whipping cream or milk. If NOT making the orange drizzle, sprinkle with raw sugar or vanilla sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden. Cool for about 5 minutes on pan then place on rack to cool. While warm drizzle with Orange Drizzle. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Orange Drizzle
- In a small bowl, combine all three ingredients and using a small whisk, whisk together. If too thick, add more orange juice. Drizzle over each scone.
- Store scones in an air tight container for up to 2 days or freeze united scones for 2 months. To serve frozen scones: thaw, rewarm in a 350 oven. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 8 minutes then drizzle with orange drizzle.