Chocolate Chip Berry ShortcakesCourse: dessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is a family favorite. I have made this recipe every summer for years. It is a perfect BBQ dessert. Kids and adults alike love it. It is easy to bring to a party. Sometimes I serve it with vanilla bean ice cream or sweetened whipped cream. I have shared this recipe with friends and family for years. It is a summer favorite and one the kids beg for once we get into the summer BBQ party season. You can use any berries with or without cherries. I like to mix it up.
3 cups of flour
6 Tablespoons sugar, divided
1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter, cold and cut into pieces + 1 Tablespoon melted
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons raw sugar or vanilla sugar or more for sprinkling
4 cups berries: blackberries, raspberries and/or blueberries
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine 3 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add 1/2 cup butter and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add the cream and pulse until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a disk and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Knead the dough a few times so chips are evenly distributed. Pat dough till it is about 1 1/4 inches thick. With an 2 3/4 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 6 shortcakes. Set the shortcakes on prepared pan, spaced out so they don’t stick to one another as they bake. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with raw or vanilla sugar.
- Bake shortcakes until golden brown, 22-225 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- While they cool, in a large bowl mix berries with the remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar and chopped mint.
- Using a serrated knife, gently and carefully slice each shortcake in half. Set on a plate and top with berries and either a small scoop of ice cream or a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.