Chocolate Rum CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: intermediate
I made this cake years ago for my grandmother who LOVED dark rum. She wasn’t picky and loved it all. She loved this cake and I would make it for her when she visited or when we went to Wyoming to be with her. It is a delicious cake and can be served with ice cream or I usually serve it with whipping cream. It is a family favorite. CAKE CAN BE MADE 1 DAY AHEAD.
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon dark rum, Myer’s Dark Rum
9 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
15 Tablespoons butter, (2 sticks minus 1 Tablespoon) cut into 1/2 cubes
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
6 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup flour
1 cup cold whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300. Butter and flour a 9 inch round springform pan.
- Boil 1/2 cup of rum in a heavy small saucepan until reduced by 2 Tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Cool. Place chocolate and butter in heavy large saucepan, stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk 1 1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks and reduced rum into chocolate mixture. Using an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites in a large clean bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the ehh whites into the chocolate mixture in the pan, then fold chocolate mixture into the remaining egg whites. Sprinkle flour over batter and fold gently until combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until top puffs and cracks and a tester comes out with very moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a rack.
- CAN BE MADE A DAY AHEAD. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
- For the topping: Using an electric hand mixer, beat cream, remaining 1 Tablespoon rum, and 1 Tablespoon sugar in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Run a knife around the sides of the cake pan, remove the side of the pan and slice cake and serve with a dollop of the sweetened whipping cream.