Citrus Cake with Sweet Wine & Olive oilCourse: Dessert, BrunchCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
I discovered this recipe years ago and it has become a favorite and one I go back to often because it is so light and moist. We have a few friends who can’t eat chocolate so I find this is a wonderful cake. It is light, delicious, moist and served with berries and sweetened fresh whipped cream it is a delightful end to any meal. This cake works wonders to for brunches, showers, luncheons and is an easy dessert when bringing a dessert to someone. This is a family favorite and so thrilled to revisit this delightful gem.
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Moscarto Di Asti (Marsala or/and Muscat)
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon EACH orange and lemon zest
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 pints mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x 3 springform pan with oil or baking spray and line with parchment.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, wine, orange juice, and zests. Set that bowl, aside as well.
- In another bowl, beat together eggs and sugar with an electric hand mixer for 4 minutes until pale yellow and tripped in volume. Add half the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until blended. Add half the olive oil mixture and mix to blend. Repeats with remaining flour mixture and oil mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set on baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and then remove sides of pan to cool completely. Place on a serving dish, and dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut the cake and serve with berries and a dollop of sweetened whipping cream.