Dairy Free Blueberry SconesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: EnglishDifficulty: Easy
These are very good but the recipe needed tweaking to really taste good. My son is on a no dairy diet so I am trying to get creative and make him tasty foods so he doesn’t feel left out when I make baked goods that have dairy. These are quite good. Have made these several times by hand and I am thinking a food processor would be best to just make the dough then fold in the berries.
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup FULL FAT (well stirred or shaken) can of coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons blueberry jam, optional
Coconut milk for brushing scones
Raw Sugar for sprinkling before baking
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Add the blueberries and toss to coat. If using the jam, fold it in here.
- Drizzle in the coconut milk and vanilla. Mix well so the dough comes together but isn’t too sticky. If needed add more coconut milk.
- Divide the dough in half and pat down to make an equally thick round. Wrap up each round and place in the freezer for thirty min.
- Remove the rounds from the freezer and cut each one into 4 scones. I find using a metal bench scraper, I get even sized scones. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush scones with leftover coconut milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden and allow to rest about 8 minutes before serving.
- The scones can sit out on the counter for 3 days in an airtight container or refrigerated for 5 days.