Dairy Free Chocolate Crinkle CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These cookies are amazing. I was worried how they would turn out. Just FYI you make the batter then they need to be refrigerated for 5 hours. These cookies are like eating clouds. They have great flavor and because the flaxseed they almost have a nutty flavor which goes wonderfully with the chocolate. My recipe for chocolate crinkle cookies that have butter are equally as good but just different. These are incredibly light. My son loved them who is currently on a dairy free diet because he is a sinus disaster.
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 +1/4 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl mix the flaxseed with the warm water and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- To the flax seed mixture, add the vegetable oil and vanilla-stir well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, about 1/3 cup at a time, stirring with a rubber spatula. The dough will be stiff.
- Cover the dough and chill for 4-5 hours.
- PRE HEAT oven to 350. Line to baking sheets with parchment. Place 1/4 cup sugar to a bowl and in another bowl add the powdered sugar.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop up the dough, roll in a ball and dredge well in the sugar then the powdered sugar making sure to get it equally covered and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remains dough, set two inches apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes. The edges should be set. The cookies will look like they need more time but allow to cool 10 minutes on baking sheet then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies will keep for several days at room temp in an air tight container. Allow one edge of the container to allow some air through so the powdered sugar doesn’t look gross.