Deep Dish Apple GaletteCourse: Desserts
This galette is so good and the best part is the dough. The dough was so easy to make. I made the dough then refrigerated it for 2 days just because I didn’t have the time to make the whole galette. This requires a lot of time but it’s well worth it. The house smells so good and I just used apples from my trees. Next time I will use a mix of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious. It needs the Granny Smith to hold its shape and tartness. ***You can do this in stages. Make the dough a day or two before, then do the apples and allow those to cool completely. When ready to prepare, preheat oven, roll the dough and have a 9 inch spring form pan ready and from there you are on your way.
2 Tablespoons butter
3 lbs firm sweet apples, mix Granny Smith and Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water, divided
All Butter Pie Crust: Recipe Below
1 large egg
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Easy All Butter Crust
1 1/2 flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1/3 cup ice water
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add the cold butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly and butter is pea size. With processor running, add 1/3 cup ice water in a slow, steady streams until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out and work into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- Let dough sit out for 10-15 minutes before rolling out. This makes just ONE (9inch) deep dish crust.
- In a lg saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to soften and release most of their liquid, 4 to 6 min.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 Tablespoon water.stir into apple mixture and cook stirring frequently until apples thicken up. Remove from heat and pour into a heat proof bowl.Let cool completely.
- Lightly dust a large cutting board with flour and turn out the dough. Roll dough into a 14 inch circle, Transfer the dough to a baking sheet with parchment and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Transfer chilled dough to the springform pan. Being gentle, ease the dough in and so it covers the bottom and sides evenly, there will be over hang. Pour the apple filling into the pan and even out, then fold the dough over the filling, leaving center exposed. Freeze 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and 1 Tablespoon water. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash over the exposed dough. Sprinkle Turbinado sugar over the egg wash on the dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn oven down to 375 and bake bake for another 30-40 minutes. The crust will be golden and the apples are tender. Let cool on a rack.
- Carefully run a knife around all sides of the pan. Loosen the sides gently and remove. Serve immediately at room temperature. Refrigerate remaining galette in an air tight container for 3 days.
- Serve with ice cream or sweetened whipping cream.