Double Strawberry CupcakesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
So as you know I am a huge fan of half Baked harvest and most of her recipes. This is a winner. I made these for Teacher Appreciation Day as I knew one of them was a big fan of Strawberry Shortcake so I thought these would be perfect and they were. Every teacher and staff has commented to me on how they were the best cupcakes so I told them all to check out the recipe on my site. These are so fun, festive and super tasty. These would be perfect for any spring party, shower or class party. I may make them for my daughter’s Valentine’s Party and put a Hershey’s Kiss on top of each one instead of a dried strawberry. You can get the dried strawberries at Trader Joe’s or off Amazon and I used Bonne Maman Strawberry Jam. I made these a day ahead, cupcakes in the morning then frosted in the afternoon and refrigerated overnight. I made them on a Thursday and a few teacher’s took them home and enjoyed them on Saturday. I would say, kept in an airtight container they should last a couple days in the refrigerator. You will want to remove them so they come to room temperature an hour before serving unless it is really warm. I have tried this recipe with freeze dried blueberries and it works as well. I have also made these and drizzled the frosting with melted chocolate. ***You can make this as a cake in a 13x9x2 pan but it will cook about 28-30 minutes.
3 cups freeze dried Strawberries, divided, (save 18 whole pieces) crush the rest
1 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 cup sour cream or vanilla greek yogurt (I used sour cream)
2 lg eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup strawberry Jam (Bonne Maman)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup milk
6oz cream cheese, at room temp.
2 sticks salted butter, room temp
2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons to 1/4 cup warm milk (I hardly needed any)
- In a food processor or using a mallet, process or crush the freeze dried strawberries into a fine powder.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pans with paper cups.
- In a lg bowl, beat together with a hand mixer, the coconut oil, sour cream, eggs, sugar, strawberry jam, and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add about 2/3 of the strawberry powder, reserving some for the frosting. Mix until combined, then beat in the milk until fully incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, bake for 25-30 minutes, until tops are just set, and no longer wiggles in the center. Remove and let cool.
- In a stand mixer with the flat beater attachment, beat the cream cheese until whipped. Add the butter and beat until the two are incorporated for about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, remaining strawberry powder (about 3 tablespoons), and vanilla. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. Slowly Stream in warm milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost each cupcake and garnish with a dried strawberry.