Easy Pozole Verde with Rotisserie ChickenCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
I found this recipe but completely redid it. So many people make Salsa Verde with raw ingredients and it doesn’t taste as good as when you roast the main ingredients: Tomatillos, garlic, poblanos, and limes. Roasting adds to a much more flavorful and brings out the natural sweetness in the salsa and recipe. It really sets the salsa up for a deeper flavor and a better flavor over all. You can just use the sauce in this recipe as your next favorite salsa verde and feel free to pair it with chips or even use it will pork, shrimp or flank steak. This has great flavor and no heat.
2-3 lg poblano chilies
2 bunches green onions, divided
4 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
Fresh ground pepper
1 heaping teaspoon cumin seeds, (toasted-optional)
1 heaping teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon allspice berries
10 fresh tomatillos, outer husk removed and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 large can hominy, drained
1 large bunch cilantro
1 rotisserie chicken, skinned and meat removed from bones
Garnish: sliced radish, green onion, avocado, and taco chips/warmed tortillas
- Preheat the over to Roast 400. Line a baking sheet with 2 layers parchment paper. Place poblanos, jalapeños, tomatillos, and garlic on prepared sheet. Drizzle with oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast until poblanos/tomatillos are blistered. You may want to flip the poblanos over. If the garlic is getting too brown, remove, allow to cool and remove skin. Set aside.
- When vegetables come out of oven, Remove blistered skin from poblanos and jalapeños also remove stems/seeds. Add the tomatillos, poblanos, garlic, jalapeño, and 1 bunch of green onions to blender with some of the chicken broth. Blend well. Add half of the bunch of cilantro and blend again.
- In a large Dutch oven, add the fresh sauce with the hominy and more of the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken and chopped half of the cilantro, some lime juice and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
- Serve in warm bowls with a garnish of chopped green onions, more cilantro and warmed tortillas.
- You can make 1 day ahead. It is easy delicious and makes great leftovers.