Farro Salad with Roasted Delicata Squash, Red Onion and PomegranateCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love this salad so does my family. The flavors and textures are so wonderful as are all the colors. As I always say, Eat a Rainbow!” I make this salad in steps. I make the farro the day before. You can easily roast the squash and red onion before but I usually do that part in the morning that I am going to serve the salad. What I love is you can serve this salad either cold, room temperature or warm. I prefer room temperature. I also make the dressing the day before so it has better flavor. It really is sublime and goes well with whatever meat or fish you have on the grill. It also works well alone served for lunch with a crispy green salad and some nice cheeses. You can also finish it odd with a garnish of pomegranates.
1 large delicata squash, cut in half, lengthwise and the nuts/strings, scooped out-sliced thin
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red onion, sliced in half, then sliced thin
Salt and Fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 cups whole farro, rinsed (I use farro package from Trader Joe’s)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons minced shallot
1 heaping teaspoon dijon mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 head of Radicchio, cut in half, cored and rinsed. Sliced into thick ribbons
1 bunch fresh Italian Parsley, trimmed of stems and chopped
1/4-1/3 cup feta cheese
1/4-1/3 cup pomegranate seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to Roast 400. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- Follow the instructions on package for farro. You want al dente not to soft then it becomes mushy and make the farro. Once cooked drain in a sieve to remove all the water.
- Place the sliced delicata squash tossed in olive oil on one of the baking sheets and place the sliced red onion on another baking sheet. Place in the oven and check after 12-15 on the onions. If not tender and starting to caramelize then set timer for 5 minutes and keep checking. Check the delicata squash after 20 minutes and then gage from there. Remove both from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Get out a serving bowl, add the farro, radicchio, delicata squash, and parsley. Allow to sit on the counter until ready to serve.
- Add the cheese and toss with dressings. garnish with flake salt and pomegranate seeds.