Ginger Christmas Eve CakeCourse: Dessert, HolidayCuisine: American, EnglishDifficulty: Easy
I have made this ever year for the last 12 years. I love gingerbread and this cake is delicious, moist and beautiful. I love that it is also very light and goes with any meal I make on Christmas Eve. I have made it before to bring to a friend who was hosting an afternoon tea. It was gobbled up in no time. It is easy to make and lasts a couple days in an air tight container in the frig.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup mild molasses
1 large egg, beaten to blend
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
1/4 cup store bought lemon curd, Dickinson’s is the brand I always use
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray the pan with baking spray. Line the pan with parchment. Spray paper.
- Whisk flour, and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Place the butter in a large bowl. Pour over boiling 1/2 cup water and whisk until melted.
- Whisk in sugar, and next 3 ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack. Remove parchment paper.
- Beat cream and sugar together in a clean dry bowl until firm peaks hold. Fold in the curd, leaving swirls and spread over cake. Garnish with lemon zest.
- This recipe is so good it works for dinner or to serve at brunch as a light sweet at the end.