Ginger Turmeric Chicken Noodle SoupCourse: Soups and StewsDifficulty: Easy
I am a huge fan of soups in the winter and especially when there are nasty colds, flus, and Covid going around. I prefer to eat healthy and protect myself and my family by eating foods that naturally fight off bad germs. This soup is delicious and my family gobbled it up. Sadly, I did not have enough for lunch the next day. The flavors are delicious and warming. It is so healthy and germ fighting which is always a positive.
8 cups chicken stock
4 chicken breasts, boneless
2 lemongrass stalks, white parts only, sliced thin
4 dried chile de Arbul
1 1/2 teaspoons EACH coriander seeds and cumin seeds
3/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
4 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chopped fresh turmeric
1 package of dried Vermicelli noodles
Fish sauce, limes, cilantro all as garnish
- Place the stock in a large Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat, add the lemongrass and the chicken breasts. Reduce heat to a simmer and check the chicken breasts after about 25 minutes. Remove from broth when an instant read thermometer reads 160. Set aside to cool shortly. Strain stock and reserve. Chop chicken into bite size piece.
- Pour stock back into Dutch oven and add chicken and season with fish sauce, salt and pepper.
- Dry roast chilies, coriander and cumin seeds in a pan over medium high heat for about 10-20 seconds. Using a mortar and pestle grind the spices well. In a small food processor, add the spices, shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and a pinch of salt. Pulse until a paste forms.
- Place the noodles in a lg bowl, and pour boiling water over and make sure noodles are fully submerged. Allow to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Place the paste with a little olive oil or grapeseed oil in the small pan used for toasting the spices. Allow to cook just for a minute or two and mix into the soup.
- Bring soup to a boil, add a few drops of fish sauce, lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Add noodles to bowls and serve with a ladle or two of the chicken soup.
- This is so amazing. Hope you enjoy.