Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad with Lime, Chili and TomatoesCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is a summer favorite. The flavors are amazing. the sweetness of the corn, a touch of heat from the poblano, creaminess of the avocado and the fruitiness of the tomato-it is a true umami. Everybody always wants the recipe and as a friend said to me, “I don’t care for salads but this is out of this world!” It really is a summer favorite. It is a perfect side dish if you don’t want to do potatoes or rice. It goes perfectly with steaks, burgers, chicken, fish or pork. This is a winner recipe.
5 ears of corn
1 lg can of green chilies, Ortega
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
2 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 lg or 2 small ripe avocados
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 Tablespoons lime juice, lime wedges to serve
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or more to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch fresh basil and mint leaves, roughly torn
- Turn the grill on and get it hot. Rub the corn and red onion with olive oil and a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Char the corn and caramelize red onion on the grill so it has some some black spots and is fragrant. remove from grill and allow to cool.
- Get out a large serving bowl, and get all the other ingredients except the avocado. Make the dressing. In a lg jar with a tight fitting lid, add lime juice, honey, and Aleppo then slowly add the olive oil. Place lid on the shake well. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Remove kernels from corn and add to bowl and thinly slice the red onion and add to the bowl. Add drained green chilies, halved tomatoes, mint and basil.
- When ready to serve, cut the avocado in half and cut into small bite size pieces. Add the avocado to the bowl and toss gently. Give the dressing another shake and pour all over the salad and toss again gently.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with extra herbs.