Hazelnut Chocolate Ice CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
We love this flavor. It is another spectacular flavor from David Lebovitz. The Perfect Scoop is an amazing book. I am not kidding when I say I have cooked all the ice cream recipes. This is the perfect balance of nuts and chocolate.It is a family favorite.
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4oz milk chocolate
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- Rub the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to remove as much of the papery skins as possible. Then finely chop in a food processor.
- Warm the milk with 1 cup of the cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Once warm, remove from heat and add chopped hazelnuts.cover and let steep 1 hour.
- Put the milk chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat remaining 1 cup cream, in a medium saucepan until begins to boil. Pour it over the chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set a mesh strainer on top.
- Pour hazelnut milk through another strainer in a metal saucepan. With your hands squeeze on hazelnuts to get as much flavor out of them as possible. Discard hazelnuts.
- Rewarm hazelnut milk mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly add the warm hazelnut mixture into egg yolks and then scrape the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Stir mixture constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spatula.Pour the custard through the strainer and stir into milk chocolate mixture. Add the vanilla and place bowl over an ice bath and stir well.
- Place in the refrigerator until chilled and then according to your ice cream maker’s freeze the ice cream.