Hazelnut, Pecan, and Bourbon PieCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Intermediate
This is a family favorite. It is delicious. Everyone raves about this at Thanksgiving or when I make it. You can make part of this ahead of time. The flavors are out of this world. This pie is a winner.
14 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup fine cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon each fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hazelnut, Pecan and Bourbon Pie
Cornmeal Pie Dough
3 lg eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
3 Tablespoons bourbon
3 Tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups roasted hazelnuts, loose skins removed
1 cup pecan halves, roasted or toasted
1/2 teaspoon Maldon salt
- Makes 1 single 9 inch pie crust. Prep is 1 hour and at least 3 hours to chill. I make the crust the day before.
- Place a piece of wax paper on a plate and place butter pieces on plate in a single layer and freeze until solid about 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, cornmeal, salt and sugar. Add the frozen butter and pulse until chunks are pea size, about 6 to 10 times. While pulsing drizzle in 1/3 COLD ice water and pulse until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gather and knead it a few times until smooth. Form a 3/4 inch thick disk and wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm, 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to use, allow the dough to sit out about 10 minutes. Unwrap and place on a floured surface to roll out. Working from center out, with short strokes, and turning on the quarter, roll out the dough into a 13 inch round and 1/4 inch thick. Continue to sprinkle board with flour so dough doesn’t stick.
- **** BUTTER PIE Dish!! Fold dough in half and gently unfold it on the prepared pie dish. Gently make sure the dough is in place and using scissors to trim the dough to about an inch around and crimp it along the edges.
- Wrap the whole pie plate in plastic wrap and freeze until firm about 40 minutes.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400. Remove plastic wrap and line the dough with foil, fill with pie weighs and bake until edges are golden about 25 minutes. Remove pie weights and foil and if needed bake 5 more minutes. The center should be dry.
- Make the crust and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugars, corn syrup, bourbon, melted butter, vanilla, and fine sea salt and whisk until smooth. Roughly chop half the hazelnuts and then stir all of them and the pecans into the egg mixture. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake until filling is well browned but still a little jiggly when shaken, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool on rack at least 3 hours. Sprinkle with Maldon salt.
- To roast hazelnuts and pecans, place in separate shallow dishes and place in a 350 oven for 8-15 minutes. Should be golden.
- Pie can be made 1 day ahead and kept at room temperature.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipping cream.