Hidden Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic GlazeCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: American
I found this recipe years ago when my son was a toddler. My kids have always been good eaters but sometimes they give me grief about eating vegetables. This recipe is fantastic as it is delicious and moist but they have no clue it is packed with vegetables. The glaze is great too. This will feed 4 people with leftovers to make delicious meatloaf sandwiches.
3 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large zucchini, chopped fine
2 bell peppers, chopped fine
5 cloves garlic, minced with a little salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
Salt and fresh ground pepper
2 large eggs, whipped
1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal
1 lb ground chuck ( I have used all ground beef and it turns out fine)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 cup ketchup, divided
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and them cover with a layer of parchment. Place all the ground meat in a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the zucchini, peppers, garlic and salt, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and salt and fresh pepper. Cook until soft about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with fresh thyme and parsley. Add it to the meat along with the panko, cheese 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 Tablespoon balsamic and cooled vegetables. Gently mix everything together.
- Pour the meat onto the prepared pan and mold into a rounded loaf. Whisk together remaining ketchup, Balsamic and red pepper flakes. Brush the mixture all over the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for 1 -1 1/4 hours. To brown the top and give texture the last 5-10 minutes turn the oven up to 450 and caramelize for a more delicious crust. Remove from oven, allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with sautéed green beans and roasted sweet potatoes.