Holiday GaletteCourse: DessertCuisine: American
This is a wonderful dessert. It reminds me a little of the English Mince Meat pie but this is a wonderful galette and is so festive during the holidays. A wonderful dessert to serve with vanilla ice cream or hard sauce. I have served it with sweetened whipping cream that had a touch of Grand Mariner in it. the citrus brings out the flavors of all the ingredients.
1 1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
10 Tablespoons chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 Tablespoons chilled Crisco Shortening, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 Tablespoons or more of ice water
3 medium granny smith apples, 1 1/4 lb total, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 cubes about 4 cups
2 firm but ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears, 18oz, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup assorted dried fruit: raisins, cherries and diced apricots
7 Tablespoons orange marmalade, divided
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pam vegetable Spray
Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipping cream
- In the bowl of a food processor, add flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and shortening; pulse until coarse meal forms. Add 2 Tablespoons ice water, pulse until moist clumps for, adding more ice water by the teaspoon if dry. Gather the dough into a ball, flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD. MAKE THE DOUGH THE DAY BEFORE.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix apples, pears, dried fruit, 3 Tablespoons marmalade, 3 Tablespoons sugar, fresh ginger, ground ginger in a large bowl to coat.
- Roll the crust on a floured surface to 13 inches round. Spray parchment paper with Pam spray and place rolled dough on prepped parchment. Spoon the filling all around but leave a 2 inch border all the way around. Fold the crust border up around and slightly over the filling.
- brush crust edges with a little water and sprinkle with remaining Tablespoon sugar.
- Bake galette for 50 minutes. Reduce heat to 400. Loosely cover the filling with a small sheet of foil. Bake until crust is deep golden brown and center is tender about 20 more minutes. Slide spatula under galette to loosen. Cool on sheet on a rack.
- Heat remaining 4 Tablespoons marmalade and 1 Tablespoon water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until marmalade melts. Spoon marmalade glaze over tart.
- Serve galette warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or spiked sweetened whipping cream.