Italian Chocolate CustardCourse: DessertCuisine: Italian
I love this recipe. I took a cooking class years ago in italy and this was one of the recipes that stuck. I have made it so many times and you have to MAKE 1 AHEAD!!! When having a dinner party, desserts that can be made ahead make life so much easier. One thing about this recipe, if you are squeamish about eating uncooked eggs, don’t make this recipe. I have made this many times and it is always a hit. Smooth, rick, like eating clouds of chocolate. I like to serve it with a touch of fresh whipped cream (unsweetened) and a garnish of shavings of chocolate.
8 oz semisweet chocolate
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups WHOLE milk ricotta
Garnish: Fresh unsweetened whipped cream and grated chocolate
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- As you wait for the chocolate, put the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and beat at high speed with paddle attachments. Beat until the mixture is pale yellow and forms soft ribbons.
- When the chocolate has melted, remove from heat, stir in heavy cream and stir until everything is combined. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and mix well. Add the ricotta and mix again until totally blended.
- Divide the custard into 6 pretty ramekins or decorative dishes and refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a garnish of shaved chocolate. Sometimes I also serve with Anise biscotti.