Lemon Blueberry MuffinsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Who doesn’t enjoy a blueberry muffin? One of my oldest and dearest friends who is Scottish who has an American aunt told me that blueberry muffins are the best food in America. She isn’t wrong. I have always loved blueberries. They are my favorite berry. They are also the healthiest berry and offer so many nutrients. My grandmother lived to almost 102 and ate blueberries everyday!!! These check off all the boxes, taste, moist, wonderful, light, juicy and more.
1 1/2 cups sugar, Divided
5 teaspoons grated lemon zest, Divided
2 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia extract (King Arthur)
1 1/2 cups sour cream
7 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 lg eggs
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, slightly frozen
- Preheat to 400. Line a muffin cup with muffin liners. Take the blueberries and place in the freezer.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons lemon zest in a small bowl, set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Whisk in fiori di sicilia, sour cream, melted butter, eggs, remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar and remaining 1 Tablespoon lemon zest together in a large bowl.
- Using a large rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture into the sour cream mixture until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with lemon sugar
- Bake muffins until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs about 20-25 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy. A little butter and honey work wonders. Lemon curd takes it to another level.