Mixed Tomato SaladCourse: Lunch, Dinner, BrunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love tomatoes of all kinds. They are so versatile and delicious. Tomatoes go perfectly with all thing delicious: bacon, cheese, bread, pasta, meats, eggs, and by themselves. Just a sliced tomato with salt and pepper is magical.
4-5 heirloom tomatoes, different colors, sliced thin
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pint different color cherry tomatoes, halved
Fresh Mozzarella Balls, Bocconcini
1 large bunch fresh basil, half chopped and half left as loose leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
balsamic vinegar, aged
extra virgin olive oil
- Find a large flat serving platter and arrange the sliced heirloom tomatoes around the dish.
- In a bowl toss the halved cherry tomatoes with some of the cheese, add salt, fresh ground pepper, some of the chopped basil, and a drizzle of the balsamic and olive oil. Toss well. Mound in the center of the platter.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese around the platter with the fresh chopped basil. Tuck the basil leaves around the dish.
- Sprinkle with salt, fresh ground pepper. Drizzle with balsamic and then with a slight amount of oil. Serve chilled.
- You can replace the basil with cilantro and chopped fine jalapeno. Season with salt, fresh ground pepper and a pinch of chili powder or a dash of your favorite hot sauce when you toss the tomatoes and cheese. You can even add in corn cut off the cob.