Orange Cinnamon MuffinsCourse: Breakfast, afternoon snackCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
My daughter found this recipe and asked me to make it. We loved these but the glaze on top of the streusel was to sweet for all of of so I made them again and put the orange zest in the streusel and it made all the difference. If you want a really sweet muffin then use the glaze but we prefer my changes. My kids usually eat muffins as an afternoon snack. I will also put a muffin in their lunch boxes to have as a mid morning snack at school.
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1 /2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or pie spice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange zest
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup flour
- Glaze (optional)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon zest
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger or pie spice and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar and the eggs until blended. Whisk in milk and vegetable oil. Whisk in vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just blended. Stir in orange zest. Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the streusel on top of each muffin.
- Bake muffins about 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to set in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.
- If using the glaze, place a piece of wax paper under the rack and drizzle the glaze.
- Whisk the sugars, cinnamon, salt, orange zest and melted butter until combined. Whisk until sugar begins to blend in then stir with a wooden spoon the flour in. The mixture should be dry. Using your fingers sprinkle over each muffin before cooking. Press the streusel into the muffins otherwise it will all come off after it is cooked.