Overnight Cornmeal WafflesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These are delicious but need to be prepared 24 HOURS AHEAD OF TIME. When I remember these are a go to recipe. These are so good that they can be made for dinner. Make the batter first thing in the morning and then make for dinner. My kids love breakfast for dinner.
1 teaspoon active dry-yeast
1/2 cup medium grind cornmeal
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt and sugar
1 large egg, plus one egg white
1/2 cup whole milk
6 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Sprinkle active dry yeast over 6 Tablespoons warm weather, set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk cornmeal with flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together egg, egg white and milk; then whisk in the yeast mixture. Gradually whisk in dry mixture until thoroughly combined. Whisk in butter until just combined. Chill batter overnight.
- Heat a waffle iron, brush with vegetable oil.
- Whisk in baking soda into the batter then cook to your waffle iron’s instructions. Keep cooked waffles warm on a heated baking sheet.
- Serve with hot syrup and sliced berries and bananas.