Panettone Ice CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: American
I made this ice cream for my in laws Bon Voyage party as they were headed to italy for a month. I loved the flavors and the depth this ice cream has. As far as citrus goes, I used the Trader Joes sugared orange slices, which I just chopped finely. The layers of flavor almost give it a warming sensation. Everybody loved it and my kids can’t wait for me to make it again. I think I will do it at Thanksgiving as it will go wonderfully with apple pie, pecan pie and my grandmother’s pumpkin pie. This recipe comes from my favorite ice cream book, The Perfect Scoop.
1 cup half and half
2/3 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick broken in half
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups heavy cream
5 large egg yolks or 4 duck egg yolks
3 Tablespoons Full flavored honey
1/4 cup candies citrus peel
1/2 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped, optional
- Warm the half and half, sugar and spices in a medium saucepan. Cover, remove from heat and allow to steep at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Rewarm the spice mixture. Pour the heavy cream into a bowl fitted with a sieve over top. Have a larger bowl ready set aside.
- In a metal bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the yolk and whisk together. Return the yolk/half and half mixture back to the saucepan, scraping out everything back into the pan. Warm over medium heat, using a rubber spatula, constantly mix the mixture. Once the custard is thick and coats the spatula, remove and pour through the sieve into the heavy cream. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick and whisk the custard with the heavy cream.
- Using the large bowl, fill with ice and water and place the ice cream in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator. As the ice cream cools, add the honey and whisk into ice cream.
- Chill the ice cream for a few hours or overnight, then using an ice cream maker, follow manufacture instructions, during the last few minutes in the ice cream maker, add the almonds and candies citrus.
- Freeze for a couple hours before serving. This tastes delightful. You can serve with a candied piece of citrus or chocolate biscotti. Even a drizzle of chocolate sauce.