Peach and Fig Galettes with cardamom and Goat CheeseCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love the ease and flavors in this recipe, but don’t be programed by it because you can choose different fruits as well as spices and herbs. I have played around with this recipe. The dough is so good and very forgiving. I was going to make this and realized I had no time to do so so I put the dough in the freezer and thawed it two days. I ran out of peaches as two I bought were rotten inside so I had fresh figs and added those. You could easily use apples, pears, plums, nectarines and just play around with flavors. Goat cheese or cheddar would go great if you were using apples or pears. This turned out fabulously. You can make 6 mini galettes or 2 medium size. Either way it turns out great with such great flavors.
10-12 Tablespoons ice water
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon sugar
16 Tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into Tablespoons
- Peaches and Fig Filling
4 peaches, ripe but still a little firm
8 figs, cut in half or quartered if lg.
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
1/4 cup peach mango preserves
4 oz goat cheese
Make the Crust
- In a lg glass measuring cup, mix the cold water with the cold vinegar. In a bowl of a processor, Combine flour and sugar, Add the butter to the flour mixture and pulse until everything is coated in flour.
- Sprinkle 8 Tablespoons on top of the flour/butter mixture, pulse and continue to add liquid until the dough comes together. Once the dough comes together, put some flour on the counter and knead the dough a few times. Break into two even parts and pat down to form each as a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and either refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight. You can freeze the dough for up to 1 month for later use then thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat over to 400. Whisk egg and 2 teaspoons room temperature water together. Set aside. Add peaches and figs to a large bowl and toss with sugar, flour, lemon juice, cardamom, and vanilla. Make sure all the ingredients are combined. Stir in the peach jam and the goat cheese. You may need to break up the cheese a bit so there aren’t big clumps.
- Roll out the dough in either 2 large galettes, about 10-12 inches in diameter or roll 6 individual galettes into 8 inches in diameter. Place on a parchment line baking sheet.
- Divide the peach and fig mixture evenly between all the rolled out dough, leaving an inch border around. Fold the dough up and around the fruit, creating a border. using the egg wash, brush the dough and sprinkle with vanilla sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in the oven until crust is deep golden brown and the fruit juices is bubbly, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the galettes cool slightly before serving. Serve with sorbet or ice cream.