Pork Meatball Ramen with Bok Choy and ScallionsCourse: Dinner, Ramen, ChineseCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
I have made this numerous times for my family and they go crazy for it. It is delicious and warming. Ramen noodles are tricky to find so I just bought a healthy version, Koyo, and used them without the flavoring packet. I used 5 for serving 4 people. There was nothing left. My family loves this.
1 3/4 pounds ground pork
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
12 scallions, thinly sliced, divided, 5 go into the pork and the rest to a bowl to garnish with
1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger, divided
3 Tablespoons soy sauce, divided
3 Tablespoons sesame oil, divided
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 quart chicken broth
2 Tablespoons mirin
1/4 cup white miso
5 3oz packs of ramen
6 heads of baby bok choy
Cilantro, rinsed and chopped for garnish
- Mix the pork, egg, pepper, half the scallions, half the ginger, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons sesame oiling a medium bowl. Roll meatballs the size of ping pong balls. Place the meatballs in a roasting dish 13x9x2. Cover and refrigerate in not making right away. If making right away, preheat oven to 425 and cook the meatballs about 12 minuted until pierced by an instant read thermometer and the temperature registers 160. Remove from oven.
- Heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons sesame oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the remaining scallions and ginger. Cook stirring often until fragrant about 1 minute. Add broth, 4 cups water, mirin, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, bring to a simmer.
- Place the 1/4 cup of miso in a small bowl, ladle some warmed broth over the miso and whisk well. Add the miso broth mixture back to the soup. You can prep to this point and just cover the dutch oven and continue when ready by bringing back to a light boil.
- Bring soup to a light boil and add just the noodles (throw away the spice packets). Cook the noodles until they are just tender, turn the heat to a simmer and add baby bok choy. Cook two minutes and serve soup with two hot meatballs in warmed bowls with a ladle of noodles, bok choy and broth.
- Garnish with cilantro and chopped scallions.