Roasted Chicken with Carrots and Preserved LemonsCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This was so easy and I loved the use of preserved lemons which is a favorite ingredient. It has been so chilly that nothing feels like a hug to the soul like a roasted chicken. I picked up these amazing carrots from a local farm, Noble Goat Farm in Healdsburg. The carrots are so sweet and when roasted all the natural sugar comes through. This dish was really comforting and warm. It is so easy and if you want put it together ahead of time and then place in the oven. I served it with some sautéed green beans and toasted farro.
1 Whole chicken
2 bunches of carrots, skinned and cut in half
2 onions, cut into thin wedges
6 cloves garlic, smashed
2 Preserved lemons
Salt and Fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 Tablespoons honey
3/4 cup white wine or beer
- Preheat oven to 425. In a baking dish, drizzle olive oil and place carrots, onions and garlic on the bottom. Place the chicken on top, breast side up. Drizzle with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the preserved lemon and sprinkle it around the bird as well as some into the cavity.
- Place in the oven and roast for about 30 mins. Drizzle the honey over the chicken and cook another 15 minutes.
- Pour the wine or beer over the bird and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Check the bird with an instant read digital thermometer. When the bird registers 165 when stuck between the thigh and bird, remove from oven and allow to rest for 8 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the juices and vegetables.