Roasted Chicken with Fennel and ShallotCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love this recipe. It is easy and delicious and flavorful. I love fennel and shallots. I have also made this with pork tenderloin or thin pork chops. The flavors go with both meats deliciously. I love the layers of flavor with the cumin and fennel seed and the shallots. I also love turmeric. This dish is easy to prepare. Sometimes I marinate the meat the night before and cut up the fennel and slice the shallots, that way all I have to do the next am is to line a rimmed baking pan with parchment and pour everything out and making sure to spread the food out. I will drizzle with a little olive oil and roast. This tastes so good paired with jasmine rice or brown basmati rice.
2 lg fennel bulbs, outer layers removed, cut in half lengthwise then each halve quartered into wedges
6 shallots, skin removed, cut into fourths
6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs or 3 lg bone in skin on chicken breasts or pork tenderloin or 4 thin pork chops
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons fennel seed, lightly crushed
2 teaspoons cumin seed, lightly crushed
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup Castelvetrano pitted olives
1 lemon, halved
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Jasmine rice or brown basmati rice
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a couple sheets of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the chicken or pork with the fennel and cumin seeds, 2-3 Tablespoons oil, turmeric, salt and pepper. the meat can be marinated overnight or a few hours or at preparation. Place the meat on the lined pan and scatter fennel and shallots around. Drizzle the vegetable with 1 Tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then add the olives and reduce oven temperature to 425 and cook an additional 25-30 minutes.
- While the meat cooks, make the rice according to the directions on the package.
- Chop the fresh parsley and once the chicken is done, remove from the oven and squeeze both lemons halves over the chicken, fennel, shallots and olives.
- Serve on heated plates with a scoop of rice, garnished with a sprinkle of parsley. I like to serve this with sautéed green beans.