Roasted Chicken with Shallots, Leeks and White WineCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
So as many of you know, my favorite dish and so comforting is a roasted chicken. I just love to make it for my family and when I have had a rough day, it soothes my soul. I made this up as I had tons of shallots (a staple in my frig) and leeks from the farmer’s market. I had a bottle of white wine that I had opened the night before. I took out my favorite roasting pan and thickly sliced the shallots longwise and cut the leeks into thick rings. I tossed the shallots and leeks in the bottom of the pan with salt and pepper. I gave a drizzle of olive oil and tossed again. (Sometimes I do add citrus here, juice, zest and quartered lemons) I placed the chicken, breast side up. I drizzled the bird with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and fresh ground pepper. I added an onion and fresh herbs to the cavity. It was fantastic but that’s what I love, chicken goes with everything so you can make it any flavor profile you want. Use up what you have. I served this with roasted peppers from my garden and Delicata Squash I bought at the farmer’s market.
1 whole chicken, roughly between 4-5 lbs
8 lg shallots, outer skin removed and cut lengthwise, in half or thirds. You don’t want to slice thin
5 leeks, green parts cut off, rinsed and thick rings cut
Salt and fresh ground pepper
red onion, cut in half
Sage, Rosemary, Thyme
1 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to Roast 400. Get out a sturdy roasting dish.
- Place the shallots and leeks in the roasting pan, drizzle with oil and salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, on top. Drizzle oil over chicken and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stuff the half of onion and fresh herbs into the cavity of the chicken.
- Let the chicken sit out for about 3o minutes then place in the oven for 40 minutes. Add the 1 cup of white wine, pouring over the bird. Lower the temp to 350 for 10-15 minutes.
- The chicken is done when the thermometer read 165 when pieced in between the thigh and breast.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes lightly covered in foil.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and serve the chicken with the wine sauce, leeks and shallots from the pan.