Roasted Vegetable SoupCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I have been making this soup for 20 plus years and I have shared the recipe with countless friends. I make it sometimes alone or if serving for a light dinner with friends I will make the pesto. It does give the soup a wonderful flavor. This soup is so easy to make and so healthy. I use chicken or homemade turkey stock but feel free to use vegetable stock.
2 leeks, just white and light green parts, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into bite size pieces
2 zucchini, sliced into bite size pieces
2 Japanese eggplants, trimmed of tops, sliced in half then into bite size pieces
2-3 lg tomatoes, quartered, or a can of chopped tomatoes
2 white rose potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite size pieces
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
4-6 Tablespoons Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
1 clove garlic, smashed, skin removed
1/2 cup drained sun dried tomatoes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. In a large roasting pan, place all the vegetables
- Place first 6 ingredients in the pan in a single layer, toss with oil, salt and pepper. If you have a mixed dried herb seasoning it is always good to use a little of that as well. Add about 1/2 cup stock and place in oven to roast for about 45 minutes. Turn the vegetables every 15 minutes.
- Have a blender ready as well as a large pot on the stove. In the blender, add the roasted vegetables with more chicken stock and do in batches. Place the pureed soup in the large pot on the stove. Add the chopped basil, lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat gently.
- While the soup is warming, place all the ingredients for the pesto in a small food processor and pulse till a pesto consistency. Season to taste.
- In heated bowls, spoon the soup and then dollop a touch of the pesto or/and swirl it into the soup. Garnish with extra chopped basil and lemon zest.